Monday, July 26, 2010

Lechon

The world's sprung a leak

Holy crap, it was so hot this weekend that the ice caps melted and the earth sprung a leak. Kidding! But isn't this the coolest sprinkler? I went to a bbq at a colleague's place this weekend and it was rather warm. I'm telling you, the kiddie wading pool was starting to look mighty tempting, but I settled for kicking my sandals off and walking around the sprinkler. But I know, this is a food blog, and you want to see what the main event was! I'm going to apologize in advance to any vegetarians who happen to be reading, because man, this is decidedly not up your alley.

The Whole Pig

Lechon!! Our awesome host ordered this from the Philippine Bread House (I was already familiar with their baked goods, like amazing pan de sal and ube bread) and it arrived in the trunk of his car (bet his car's going to smell like pork for ages). Oh man. How can I describe to you how delicious this was? I don't even know if I should try. The crispy, crackling skin, the melting fat, the salty, shredding pork butt...well, just trust me, it was amazing. There was a bit of a tussle over the snout and the ears, but I was perfectly content with the back end of Mr. Pig. (And so was my friend who was on chopping duty.)

Plate 1

But it wasn't just lechon we had, and here's a view of my first plate. Giant pile of lechon, pan de sal, roasted sweet potatoes, shrimp, and (fighting a losing battle) salad. No, I'm not going to tell you how many more plates I had, it's too embarassing. I did limit myself to only one and a half pan de sal, though...see, I can exercise restraint! Still, I don't think I was the only one who may have overindulged a tad, there seemed to be lots of people sitting around, rubbing their bellies, unable to move. Oh, maybe it was the heat. Right, the heat!

But hey, there was still dessert to come. I didn't get a good photo of it but our host made the most amazing peanut butter cheesecake. I ate a small wedge and that finally did me in. I didn't eat again until dinnertime the day after. But it was so worth it. And now I've got a plate of leftover lechon sitting in my fridge--anyone have any ideas what to do with it?

I hope your weekends were great!

3 comments:

Kaimono888 said...

Did you all manage to finish Mr Pig? That was huge!

Bentobird said...

Amazing and...intense! Anthony Bourdain would totally endorse this whole-pig approach to feasting!

So many savory leftover possibilties--shredded and sauteed with summer veggies over soba, insanely decadent bahn mi with avocado, chilis....yum!

tofugirl said...

Kaimono, nope! We only ate about 1/3 of it! I brought home like 2 pounds of meat...it's in the freezer until I figure out what to do with it :)

Bentobird, I watched the episode of No Reservations where he goes to the Philippines just before this, coincidentally, hehe. Banh mi sounds like a GREAT idea! Must go buy some baguettes...