Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Watermelon Granita

Watermelon Granita

A couple of weeks ago in the midst of the heat wave (oh it was so hot), I was holed up in my bedroom, sitting on top of the air conditioner, reading foodblogs for ideas for icy treats. And, like a bolt from the sky, I saw this post from Petra of Zoom Yummy. (Have you seen her blog? It keeps me giggling constantly. And hungry.) Granita! Brilliant idea! Cold, sweet, delicious, none of the guilt associated with ice cream--I was sold.

I also had no oranges. SOB.

But, according to an old work evaluation form that I found the other day, I am able to adapt in tricky situations. Surely you will agree with me that this was a tricky situation!

Oh have I mentioned the fact that I've had an unbroken supply of watermelon in the fridge? And that I was starting to get tired (blasphemy!) of watermelon juice? What better way to revive my love affair with watermelon than to turn it into a delicious, sparkly, icy, pink granita!

No need for a recipe. Blend yourself some watermelon chunks. Pour into a shallow container (watermelon juice is so sweet you won't need to add any sugar or syrup, but you may want to try a little lemon zest or juice for zing!). Stick in freezer. Stir every hour or two to break up the ice crystals. It'll start getting slushy, then more granular, and finally, you'll have a container of granita. Scoop or scrape into a bowl, and eat. Or directly into your mouth. Either way, mmmmm. Nothing better on a hot summer day.

3 comments:

Bentobird said...

Looks just lovely and so helpful for days like this! Pretty pink frozen essence of watermelon crystals...yep, that's the ticket!

Unknown said...

Cool!! I want some! Is it still very hot there? It's a bit cool here today but going to be hot again tomorrow...

tofugirl said...

Bentobird, it's utterly refreshing! I just had some for dinner (along with a cucumber and tomato salad--I feel very healthy today.)

Babykins, it cooled off for a while but it was very humid and hot today! I hope the weekend will be nicer, for both of us!