Saturday, July 23, 2011

Melting

Watermelon granita take 2

You know what, I don't even have the energy to talk about the weather. Let's just say it's hot. It was 104 degrees F when I left work yesterday and it is allegedly better today, although I wouldn't know because I haven't left the relative coolness of my apartment. I don't feel like cooking, I definitely don't feel like baking, and I don't even really feel like eating!

Fortunately, making watermelon granita hardly counts when it comes to effort. Just blend up a chunk of watermelon (I added some lemon balm from an earlier CSA pick-up), pour into a shallow container, and put in the freezer. Stir with a fork periodically as it freezes to break up the ice crystals. It feels like a treat (and it is!) but it's a damned virtuous one.

Summertime

Or you can go look for the nearest shaved ice man (mine's right across the street--I can hear him now).

csa week 6

Anyhow, here is the haul from week 6 of the CSA, not that I have done much with it. I've eaten the komatsuna, about half of the corn, carrots, and lettuce. I would love to make peach jam with my glut of peaches, but that's going to have to wait. Maybe I should just peel, slice, and freeze them...but then I won't have space to make granita. Decisions, decisions!

Well, I'll keep it short. Wherever you are, I hope you are staying cool (this heat wave seems to have covered most of the States). I would send you some watermelon granita if I could, but I'm contemplating filling my bathtub with it....

3 comments:

zoom yummy said...

yum, yum, looks delicious, you've inspired me. you really did! :) Petra

Kaimono888 said...

It's hot & humid now and i guess you are hibernating @ home with your air-con on the whole day :)

The watermelon granita looks yummy. The peaches too ~ you can make ice-blended peaches smoothies and peach tarts :P

tofugirl said...

Petra, I think you had a post on granita ages ago that was what gave ME the idea... :)

Kaimono, I can't even tell you how happy the heat broke! It rained and now it's so much more comfortable :) I got another 20(!) plums today...think I will have to make a big plum cake to share with my coworkers :)