Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Macarons from Kee's Chocolates

Tiny macarons from Kee's Chocolates

Ask NYC chocolate lovers for their recommendations, and one name that always pops up is Kee's Chocolates (along with MarieBelle). I've read a lot about their unique flavors, but to be honest, I don't really eat truffles or straight up chocolate that regularly (which is why I've still got several bars from the Chocolate Show I went to last year in my fridge). I'd much rather bake with chocolate. But I did trek over to Kee's midtown outpost during lunch today to check out their macarons in my ongoing quest for the best macarons in New York.

P1040857

The midtown "store" is really just a counter located inside the lobby of the HSBC on the corner of 5th Ave. and 40th St. Strange location! But lucky HSBC workers! They have a pretty good selection of chocolates, but sadly, not much in the way of macarons. What they did have were prepackaged bags of 4-6 mini macarons (I paid $6 for my bag); check out the photo above and you'll get an idea of their size. I'd say they are about the size of a dollar coin, so...small! But I gather they have "regular" sized macarons at the downtown location, and you can probably select flavors rather than going for a preselected assortment.

P1040855

What they lack in size, they make up for in attractiveness.

P1040854

I wish I could tell you which flavors these were, but I neglected to take adequate notes before I scarfed the lot down. I can tell you that I had rosewater lychee (the only one I can still identify), passionfruit, mint mocha, sour sap, green tea with jasmine, and one that I think was plain chocolate.

Rosewater Lychee Macaron

This one was my favorite, followed closely by the green tea with jasmine. One of these days I'm going to have to make it to the downtown store to sample the full range. Well, maybe after a few more trips to the gym. In the meantime, if you're in midtown and feel the need for some chocolate, why not stop in and grab some to go?

Kee's Chocolates (midtown)
452 Fifth Avenue (inside HSBC)
New York, NY 10018
Monday through Friday, 9:30am to 5:30pm
212-525-6099

2 comments:

The Costuminatrix said...

"Sour sap?" I am curious.

tofugirl said...

Yeah, I'm not sure what exactly that is--I think maybe it's soursop though, because that's a kind of fruit.