Sunday, January 8, 2012

Almond cream & pear tartlets

Pie Greetings

So here's what I did with the leftover almond cream from yesterday's not so photogenic galettes--almond cream and poached pear tartlets! This was the very last pear left from my CSA, so I felt quite virtuous about using up a bunch of stuff. My fridge is actually looking quite bare these days: no giant bunches of kale and turnips lurking around. Sniffle.

Pear & almond tartlet

Since I had all the components on hand (I almost always have some form of pie crust dough in the freezer, for last minute baking emergencies) this took about 15 minutes to put together, and most of that time was for poaching my rather old pear. I gave it a quick bath in a ginger syrup, both to soften it up and to give it some flavor. All you do is press crust into a tartlet pan, spread almond cream across the bottom, and then lay your sliced pear on top. These took about 30 minutes to bake, and then I just brushed a little glaze over the top.

So, anyhow, this is my virtual birthday pie for my mom, whose birthday is tomorrow! Don't worry Mom; I'll bake you a fresh one next time I see you. In the meantime, Mamegoma and Horsie and I wish you a happy birthday and hope you are eating something yummy (although it won't be as yummy as this tart I'm sure ;)).

No comments: