Tuesday, August 10, 2010

My Apartment is now a Cupcakery

Yum.

Whew, did I say that May was a big birthday month? I think I am wrong--I think there are way more birthdays in August to be celebrated. It started in the beginning of the month with my cube-neighbor, who, poor guy, has had to put up with me for way too long. Although, funny story (I really hope he never reads this)--he has this tendency to fall asleep at work (sleep apnea, he says) and for the 4 years that I've worked with him, I've tried and tried to get a photo of him asleep (he sleeps totally upright, one hand on the keyboard, one on the mouse, like he's just REALLY deep in thought) and every single time I whip out the camera, he wakes up. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Anyway, that was kind of a digression, wasn't it? What I was going to say is, the man loves his beer. And so, what could be more appropriate than beer cupcakes? (Well, maybe I could have just gotten him a case of beer, but where's the fun in that?) And so I was googling away (at work, shhh) and came across this brilliant recipe for Guinness cupcakes over at Smitten Kitchen. They seem so over the top--Guinness in the cupcakes, Baileys in the frosting, whiskey in the ganache filling...perfect!

Cross-Section

I resisted the urge to make these super girly with pink sugar. See, I am considerate. Chocolate shavings are slightly more manly! Anyway, I waffled a bit about actually filling the cupcakes because the cakes themselves are so moist that I thought it would be too much. In the end, I stuck with the recipe, but omitted the whiskey. It did make it insanely indulgent and rich, but hey, it's a birthday! And the frosting--holy yum.

DSC_0350

Over the weekend, I made a batch of mini buttermilk cupcakes for my friend's cafe--is there anything more cheery than a pile of mini cupcakes in the afternoon sunlight?

Teeny Cupcake

Okay, how about a chocolate frosted mini cupcake? AREN'T THEY CUTE??? I know I'm a sucker for all things small and mini, but dang, these are especially cute. I hope they went over well! (By the way, in case you are interested, a standard sized cake recipe makes 81 mini cupcakes. 81 PEOPLE!!)

Mamegoma & cupcake

And last, but not least, Mamegoma wants to wish a belated happy birthday to bento blogging buddy Bentobird! (Mamegoma picked out the sugar flower on this one ;)).

10 comments:

Megg said...

Absolutely adorable! And I hope you get a photo of your co-worker.. you made him some awesome cupcakes, so I think you deserve it. ^_^ Maybe the cupcakes will make him sleepier...

What a great post.. thanks! I'm really craving cupcakes now....

tofugirl said...

Thanks Megg :) Glad I could pass the craving on! Hehe.

Some day I WILL get that photo--seriously, his ability to sleep upright is amazing!

Unknown said...

Yay drunky cupcakes! It sounds incredibly yum! What a lucky guy!? I sure would melt away once I eat it.
Hey I wanna be buried in the pile of mini cupcakes! Mamegoma looks so happy, too. :D

Gosh! I haven't yet said Happy Birthday to Jenn...

Carly said...

Deeeelicious!
I have to try me some boozey cupcakes!!! Love the mini ones too they turned out sooo cute!

Love the new blog design....please forgive me for not checking in sooner and noticing!!! xo

jason said...

OMg, you bakes! I'm absolutley clueless when it comes to baking.

I don't mind pink cupcakes, gimme gimme!

Bentobird said...

Gorgeous happy sweets, this post was a ray of sugary fun and I loved it all! How cool that you are cooking for your pal's bakery:D

Bentobird said...

Um, duh I meant baking, not cooking tee hee...

Bentobird said...

And one final comment, thanks for the kind b-day wishes and a smooch to adorable Mamegoma!

vialentino said...

wow....nice cupcake there...nice food site...love it

tofugirl said...

babykins, I made mini versions of these yesterday for another bday...so cute :D (Sorry for the delay in responding, soooo busy lately!)

Carly, no worries! I haven't had time to visit blogs much lately either :\ The cake itself in the Guinness cupcakes is so good...so moist and yummy :D

Jason, you should try :D It's fun!

Jenn, thanks for your sweet (no pun intended!) comments :D Hope I get to make some other things for her bakery...when I get some free time!!!!

Vialentino, thank you for visiting and for your nice comment :)