Monday, November 7, 2011

It's almost holiday baking season! Sign up for Cookie Swaps!

Christmas Cookie Box-2009

I am super excited because it's getting to be that time of year when I kick into cookie-producing overdrive! I took a break from giving out cookies as gifts last year (photo above is from 2009) because I didn't have time, but did manage to participate in the Lower East Side Girls Club Holiday Bake Sale. This year though, it's going to be different--I'm getting a head start and planning everything out (and in fact, I've already made my first batch of dough to be tucked away in the freezer--double ginger snaps!)

stuffed cookie

For New Yorkers, there's the NYC Annual Holiday Cookie Swap tickets here to benefit Cookies for Kids' Cancer. I'll be attending this one for the first time, and it sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun. I mean, barbecue, homemade cookies, and a bunch of bloggers, how can you go wrong? Go buy your ticket, but hurry up because there were only 13 left last time I checked--and if you recognize me, say hi!

The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap 2011

For those of you not in NYC, there's also the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap, a cookie exchange by mail--and yes, I'm participating in this one too! (I know, I may be a little cookie-crazy by the end of all this.) You have until Nov. 15th to sign up, and this sounds like it's going to be good fun too! The basic idea is that you sign up and then receive the names and addresses of 3 bloggers who you will send a dozen homemade cookies to. In return, you'll get 3 boxes of homemade goodies! Perfect for all those holiday gatherings...

Now the only question is what cookies should I make?? The possibilities are endless.

Giant Cookie

Giant chocolate chip cookies?

green tea shortbread leaves

Green tea shortbread?

Munchmunch

Bunnies?!

giant mouthed domokun

Or maybe the ever popular Domo cookies....decisions, decisions!!! Happy cookie-baking (and eating)!!

***Edited to add 11/8/11***
Ooh, and one more! The 2nd Annual international holiday Cookie Exchange, hosted by Lori of Fake Food Free and Andrea of Food Embrace! This is a virtual swap, meaning you get a recipe from a fellow food blogger, then you bake and post about it (this also means you get to hoard the cookies to yourself, if you so choose...greedy? meeeee?). And you only have until Nov. 10th to sign up, which is this Thursday! So get cracking!!

6 comments:

beyondkimchee said...

I love the look of your green tea shortbread. I wonder if you can find holly leaf cutter to make these cookies for Christmas theme. Bunnies are for Easter, and the monsters are for Halloween... I love your cookies, tofu girl! Can you come up with Thanksgiving cookies?

tofugirl said...

Hey, Beyondkimchee! I haven't looked in a while, but I'm almost positive I've got a holly cutter lurking around somewhere... Hm, Thanksgiving cookies...well, maybe i could make little turkeys! I'll have to think about that one :)

Anonymous said...

I think the only way to decide is for you to make a couple of each and send them to me for a taste test... ;)
Hope you are doing well! I'm in CA right now and when I get home I'll do more reading and commenting, but for now I need to find something to eat since I'm STARVING after looking at your delicious photos!

Deborah said...

Your cookies look fantastic as always! Those bunnies are genius. christmas is the only holiday I bake cookies for and those home baked cookies are always such a treat. I mean to bake more often but it just doesn't happen. Thanks for the inspiration!

Kayleen said...

yes to all of the cookies!

tofugirl said...

Megg, at the rate I'm going, I probably am going to have to send cookies off to everyone I know, so you never know, there might be some coming your way soon, hehe. Hope your trip was great!

Hi Deborah! Thank you :) I love the bunny cookies, although I'm not sure if they will make an appearance in my Christmas cookie boxes yet! I haven't finalized the list...but gingersnaps and green tea shortbread are always included :)

Kayleen, that's how I feel too :) I mean, I know it's a hardship but someone's gotta taste the cookies for quality control!