Friday, June 4, 2010

Playing with Food

DSC_0022

As I mentioned in my last post, I had my bday dinner Wednesday night--as usual, we came out of there completely and utterly stuffed with Peking duck (and ribs, salt and pepper pork chops, fried rice, kailan, seafood baskets, chicken, ice cream....yes, we may have ordered a tad to much food). I brought brownies, and my friend brought TWO giant boxes of macarons from her cafe (Artichoke Cafe). I know I may be a bit biased, but I really think these are the best macarons I've had in NYC so far (Silver Moon coming a close second). We finished most of one box at dinner and I brought the rest home--and in the face of such riches, what's the natural course of action? Well, take pictures, of course! (I didn't take a single photo at dinner because it was too dark. No, it had nothing to do with the fact that I was stuffing my face.) So enjoy my newfound and COMPLETELY DORKY love of putting speech bubbles into my photos:

Mukmuk's definition of happiness

Happy/Sad

Happy Place

Ah, everything tastes better when it's shared. Or so I'm told. :)

red velvet cheesecake

Another friend showed up with this cute little red velvet cheesecake from Magnolia Bakery. I am not a fan of their cupcakes, so I haven't been to one of their bakeries in ages, and had no idea they made cheesecake! This is yummy, especially the crust, but so rich I can only eat a bite at a time. Good, it'll last longer. The same friend also made me adobo! How sweet is that? It's so delicious and I'll be bringing some for lunch next week.

DSC_0007

And here's a gratuitous shot of the chocolate brioche I got at Silver Moon Bakery this morning (along with a loaf of gruyere bread, yum). The weekend's here, HOORAY!! It's supposed to thunderstorm, which hopefully means it'll cool off, which means I can squeeze in some baking! Fingers crossed! In the meantime, I am attempting to teach myself to crochet--not very successfully, I might add.

7 comments:

M. said...

I love macaroons....I think I'm addicted by now....I tried making them myself...but no luck so far....

Marie Mosley said...

At first glance I thought the chocolate brioche was a Philly cheesesteak!

tofugirl said...

@M., me too! I've only succeeded in making them once (beginner's luck maybe) and every other time I've made them since, they haven't worked right. Hopefully I can learn at my friend's cafe :)

@Marie, haha. I had to go back and look at the photo--I see what you mean. This is much tastier though (especially for breakfast!) :)

Bentobird said...

Cuuute post!! I loved your macaroon comics, hope they will be a regular feature on OMIC! Great photos too--great glowing colors, sugary joy--thanks for the big smile!

tofugirl said...

Hehe, thanks Bentobird! I don't think I can resist the impulse to put speech bubbles into my food photos...so I think there will be more comics :) And macarons!

zoom yummy said...

Oh, how I love your buddies. I feel ya sista... :) Petra

tofugirl said...

Petra, I knew you would understand...Hehehehe!